Saturday, June 22, 2013

My roses are blooming all over the place!





And you can see my new a/c condenser on its throne, in the third picture.  It's supposed to be more than 3 feet off the ground (not that 3 feet would have helped with Sandy's 5 feet of water), so it got a booster seat on top of the pre-existing platform.  I think it looks silly, but oh well, it's not like I'm made of money.  If some subsequent owner of the house doesn't like it, they can do something to change it.  I have enough issues to deal with as it is.


Peeling off old wallpaper in the kitchen today, my painters didn't come because someone's M-I-L passed away.  I bet he's out celebrating.  ;-)  Nice how the paper practically comes off the walls by itself....not a good feature, tho, if you WANT wallpaper.  I'll stick with paint, it tends to stay put better.  Wallpaper is not a good idea in this climate.

Roses are a good idea, tho!  I also have a small bush that makes bright red roses, but it did its thing while I was away, so I missed it this time.  Then there are the rugosas that are trying to take over half of the front yard.  Not blooming yet, but that's probably because they are spreading so much.  Seems they like Holly Tone...I fertilized the sort-of-blue-spruce a couple of weeks ago, and the rugosas under it are spreading like crazy.  The spruce is another story.  I'm hoping it will perk up.  Looks like a lot of the evergreen type plants don't care for salt water baths, tho. 

The prickly pear cacti seem to have loved the water, they're growing like mad, too.  You can see some of them on the bottom left of the a/c unit.  They're all over the place, some make red flowers and others make yellow.  The ones across the street, which get full sun all day, are already blooming.  Mine get shade in the afternoon, so they're slower to flower. I have yet to try eating them, tho - I'm a little nervous about their ability to bite back.

No comments:

Post a Comment