Friday, January 10, 2020

Ok, so, Patterns

No, I didn't find the list.  What I did was go through a whole lot of pictures, and found some that sort of fit the subject matter.  These are all from a visit to Plum Island back in November.

This is not the Plum Island made notorious by some novelist (Nelson DeMille, in fact) a few years back.  It's not in Suffolk County, NY, for starters.  There's nothing at all sinister or mysterious about it.  And it's not really an island at all, tho it might once have been, presumably, which got it that name.  I never realized it even had a name, until a couple of weeks ago, when I was watching a video about Sandy Hook's history. 

This is the usual place we go, where you cross the road to get to the bay side of the Hook.  At high tide, there's not much there, it's mostly under water.  So the first thing is to check the tide charts before making the drive out there. 

Then, you can never quite count on it being the way it was the last time you saw it.  Depending on the weather and the tides, the configuration is different every time.  Some days there are interesting patterns, other days, not.

These are some of the ones I liked.






I imagine someone could explain how the water does that, shapes the sand differently in different places or at different times.  I'm not that person, however.  All I can do it look at it, and marvel at what nature can do when it's in a reasonably good mood.


No comments:

Post a Comment