Friday, April 10, 2020

Change is in the air


Or, nothing is normal anymore.  Which is maybe not a bad thing.  Normal wasn't going very well, anyway.

So maybe change is going to be, in the long term, a good thing.  I hope.

For a depressive person like me, hope is an odd thing.  Yet I always - or usually - have hope of one sort or another.

Trying very hard to not get this virus thing.  It's all around, and the people around here are on the rich side of things, so they apparently think the virus doesn't apply to them.  They ignore the social distancing recommendations.  Earlier today, when we were taking our second walk, the entire police dept and the EMTs were assembled in front of the local morning to lunchtime restaurant, which is offering curbside pickup of whatever it is they make (I've never eaten there, so I don't know).  Not sure why, I wasn't about to approach the gendarme and ask what was going on.  Can't be anything good, tho.  Maybe someone tried to pick up their lunch without a mask on.  We took a detour through a bank parking lot, and a strip mall parking lot, then resumed our regular route without getting involved.  I did notice, tho, the cops were not wearing masks.  I guess it doesn't apply to them.

We have various routes, in varying lengths, whereby we rarely run into other people, and manage to get our distance done.  We've been walking between 7 and 8 miles a day, the last several weeks.  This has gotten bigger and bigger, but I think it has to stop growing, there's only so much I can do.  And don't worry, we do it in four walks, not all at once.

Yesterday it was almost summer.  Today it's trying to be winter, even to the extent that it has been trying to snow (not that I would recognize snow anymore, we only had one tiny snow all season).  Cold and WINDY.  Makes it hard to walk, and I'm always worrying one of the old trees is going to drop something on my head.  Hard to remember, we've had so much of the high winds thing this year, most of the self-pruning is already done for the year.  I hope.  And the tree on the corner that is literally falling apart just dropped a big chunk a week or so ago, it's still laying all over the sidewalk and into the street.  The homeowner doesn't care and his lawn company won't touch it if they don't get paid extra for it.  C'est la vie.

In fact, it's hard to remember much of anything from BEFORE.  

Going back to trying to file a stimulus return for a friend....hang in there.  The light at the end of the tunnel might not be an oncoming train.  


No comments:

Post a Comment