Thursday, January 17, 2013

loooooong week

This has been an extraordinarily long week, and it's only Thursday night.  One more day of doing puzzles for profit, then two days of getting my ceiling banged into place, followed by another day of interviewing contractors for things like garage doors.  And oh, yes, the structural engineer who I really could have liked to talk to two months ago is coming on Monday to tell me noone but me is going to pay for the roof that failed miserably in the hurricane.  Oh, excuse me.  SuperStorm.

In their great lack of wisdom, the homeowners' insurance company decided, without informing me of the fact, that I need a structural engineer to examine my broken roof.  Nice idea, except, since it's been raining every other day since Sandy, and that rain has been encroaching severely on my living space due to the roof not doing its job anymore, I had the freaking roof replaced.  Scroll down a bit, I think they finished a couple of weeks ago.  Dry as a bone in here since then.

So said structural engineer is coming to look at something which no longer exists.  Don't you love farce?  My fault, I fear.  I thought that you told me to replace the damned roof (again), my dear.  Good idea to get it done before the incoming weather ruined the floor and walls and anything else under its porous covering.  Had I waited, my claim might have been much, much more.

My main aim in life at the moment is to keep my living space, poor as it is, in liveable condition, and avoid additional damage to same, while maintaining some semblance of sanity, and working full time at a job that is a two hour commute (one way) from home.  Sending me a structural engineer to entertain with tales of two roofs at this late date does not help me accomplish my goals.

Penalty points off the score for the insurance company.  Flood insurer is winning at the moment in the helpfulness department.  And actually, car insurer wins the contest hands down, that deal is done and closed long ago.  I wish they could insure my house, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment