Sunday, May 12, 2013

Almanac of a sort, Mothers' Day, 2013

All I have today is bits and pieces, so here they are:

Sunny and mild today, but the wind is kicking up now, and when it blows, the blinds rattle.  Reminds me of the "dry husks" bit in The First Emperor.  Can't remember who sings that part, offhand, so I'll need to watch the video and report back.  The sound is like stalks of bamboo clacking together - which reminds me, it looks as if my outdoor bamboo is dead from Sandy.  My indoor bamboo, all but one little sprig of it, died after the new heat/hot water thingie got installed, because the plumbers forgot to check the stove when they turned the gas back on, the pilot light was off, and the house was filling with gas for a week or so (I was not yet back living in the house at this time). 

The bamboo sprig reminds me of Susan, my favorite flower maiden.  She died a bit more than a week ago, aged 58, from breast cancer, which had already claimed her sister and, if I'm not mistaken, her father as well.  Some things (like the switch that turns on cancer) are definitely genetic.  Susan was the wonderfully creative and generous person who used to make flower arrangements for me for any occasion, particularly various sets of white carnations for a friend who particularly loves those.  Susan was dealt a particularly bad hand in life, but every time I see or buy flowers, I think of her, so she had a positive effect on me, at least.   As I'm sure she did on a lot of people.

The indoor bamboo came from a closeout sale at the store where Susan worked.  I got two sets of "lucky bamboo," two purple glass vases to put them in, and several bags of glass marbles for less than $5.  Susan got the shaft.  Let's just say the successive owners of that particular store were not kind to her.

I'm sure I've mentioned here before that I constantly have some bits and pieces of music running in my head.  Most of the time I have little or no control of what they are.  Today's specials, for no apparent reason, are Morris Robinson singing Old Man River, and Sam Ramey singing his big aria from Faust.  Considering I just the other day watched Sam singing Mefistofele, not Faust, I'm not sure why the Faust is taking precedence. Mr Robinson is currently singing in Showboat at the Washington National Opera, which sort of explains that one.  I had a ticket for the matinee today, but swapped it for next Sunday.  Now we see if I actually get to go.

Last evening I watched a really good movie, Youth Without Youth.  It's a Francis Ford Coppola opus, and it's a beautifully told story.  I decided I must go to Malta one day, even if I'll never be rich enough to stay where the characters stay.  I like Coppola's movies more than I like his wine.

I discovered that Utz makes Sweet Potato chips that are absolutely awesome.  One caveat, tho - buy two bags, once you get started you can't stop eating them.

Pablo got to play with Snickers and Maya today - Snickers is a long haired Chi, and Maya is an older Golden Retriever.  Then Grandma came for him.  They did some un-gardening, then took off in her car for who knows where.  We'll catch up later, when I go to Mom's place for lasagna dinner.  Lasagna seems to be the default "occasion" meal in my family, even tho we're not Italian.  The only sister who isn't coming for dinner is the one who isn't a mother, so maybe that works.

Let's see....I got to listen to most of Gotterdammerung on the radio yesterday.  Great singing, I even liked the Siegfried (I haven't liked anybody's Siegfried since Siegfried Jerusalem sang it).  I hope someone I know recorded it, so I can get to hear the immolation, which is the part I missed.  I guess you could say I'm suffering from Gotterdammerung-us interruptus.

Front bedroom is done getting the first coat of paint.  I think it hasn't been painted in forever, so it is sucking up the paint at an alarming rate.  Needs a second coat.  Also got the new ceiling fan installed.  Looks nice, but tall people will knock their heads on it, I think.  Requires artful furniture arrangement.

One nice thing about all the rain this week - the car is clean again. It washed off all the sticky salt spray, saving me trying to remember to go out and buy a new hose and car wash soap.  Oh, and a bucket and sponge.  That stuff was all in the garage before the storm.  Now, there's no telling where it is.  Maybe Staten Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment