Friday, August 7, 2015

On the other side

I post a lot of pictures of the beach, so you might think there's only one side of the town I live in, the one that faces the ocean.

Well, there's another side, and that one causes probably more problems around here than the ocean does.  The other side is a river.  Or perhaps more accurately, an estuary.  It's salt water until you get pretty far inland, where it peters out - or actually, begins - in a number of marshes.

It runs north to south, and of course that creates other issues, like when dolphins get trapped in it because they naturally think to get out they need to go south, but they hit a dead end and don't know what to do.

Anyhow.  We went for a second long walk this morning, after our beach walk, and Pablo took me around a block where I've never gone before, which I really didn't know was there, and which has a mini park fronting on the river.  He wouldn't let me stay long, but I got a couple of shots of what's on the other side of town. 


This one looks northish.  The bridge is the Highlands bridge, which is the end of town I'm closer to.

One of the parks I've been walking in is on the hill on the left side of the picture.


Looking southish, towards the Rumson Road bridge and downtown.

 
Across, part of Rumson, and one of the little islands that take up the juncture between the Shrewsbury and Navasink rivers.  The wake is from a small powerboat that had just passed by.

Mostly this is powerboat territory.  The current is very strong and fast, so you need to be a power kayaker to manage it without a motor.  It has lots of sand bars, and those move around a lot, so you often hear of boats getting grounded in various places or getting their bottoms messed up.  Deep enough for larger boats, if you're careful and watch your depth finder.  Those guys generally head out for the bay to do whatever it is you do on a boat.

I don't do boats.  I like to be near water, but not on it or in it.



No comments:

Post a Comment