Saturday, August 1, 2015

speaking of light


This was at about 6.30 this morning.  The rest of the day will look burned out, literally and figuratively.  By the way, this is straight out of the camera, no retouching except to level the horizon just a smidgen.  Crooked horizons make me nuts.

Some days we get interesting effects at dusk.  Dusk over a large body of water has a particular color to it that you don't see anywhere else.  On occasion the sunset brings more color to the east, away from the sun, than it does around the sun itself.

And the problem with getting up early enough to catch the good morning color is it makes the day far too long.  Especially since I think I am part vampire.  I don't feel well if I have too much sun, and actually sitting on the beach in the afternoon gives me awful headaches.  Has since I was a kid.  I remember downing far too many Alka Seltzers when I was a kid.  Plop plop fizz fizz, it was the only thing that could take away the pain, but drinking it made me nauseated. 

As I was trying to explain to someone a couple of weeks ago, the people who live here full time rarely go to sit on the beach.  I don't get the "sit" part, for one thing.  Beaches are for walking, not sitting.  We walk, we ride the bike path up into Sandy Hook, we go to the parks and walk in the woods, but we generally do not sit on the beach.  That's for bennies.

I really prefer the beach in winter.  No people, no noise, just me and the dog and nature.  That's when it's best.


No comments:

Post a Comment