Monday, May 14, 2012

ambiguity

I find it annoying when someone can't make up their mind, but this one takes the cake:


The bright colors caught my eye yesterday in Foggy Bottom.  I particularly like the blue, which I can see relates to trust, or is a trust-worthy color.  I don't particularly relate to orange as a color, unless it's included in a palette of fall shades, gold and orange and scarlet and brown, like a stand of trees after a light frost.  But orange representing doubt is new to me.  Considering it is a "hot" color in fashion this year (or so I am told), even more odd (to my way of thinking) it should be associated with doubt.

But the real question is, what is the message here, or is there any message at all?  This is a front yard of one of those cool little townhouses I've always liked, and it is a new installation, it wasn't there last time I was in the neighborhood.  The pavers are new, too.  Nice little courtyard.  Nice to have a place to sit, it's a pretty block, lots of cool little townhouses and lovely gardens with traditional garden gates and such.  If I had piles of money and a reason to live in DC, this is likely a neighborhood I might choose to live in. 

So, back to the question.  If I sit on the blue bench, am I trusting?  What does that say about someone who sits on the orange? 

And the other question.  Why are the benches next to each other?  Reminds me of a waiting room, or a train station.  I would rather see them across from each other, but not too far apart, or better, at right angles to one another, forming an outdoor conversation nook.  That to me would be inviting, in spite of the orange and that word punched out of the backrest.

Then I would also need flowers in ceramic pots, with all different colors there.  And maybe a small table to put your iced tea on while watching the world go by.  And a way to put your feet up after a long day at the rat race.

I'm not too picky, am I?  I doubt it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment