Thursday, May 31, 2012

A view of...what????



 I was going to title this a view from the bridge.  Except we weren't really on the bridge, we were waiting for the Morgan bridge to close so the train could proceed.  I'll never understand why a train, which runs on a schedule (for the most part) would need to wait for a bridge (which has no particular schedule) to open for river traffic then close and maybe if we're lucky lock back in place.  Which is besides the point, at the moment.

Then I considered calling it a view of the bridge - with the human eye, even with my glasses which badly need to be updated, prescription-wise, I could see the Verrazano Narrows Bridge from where we sat - but you really can't see the bridge, in the picture.  Cameras (especially ones in phones) do that, sometimes - totally miss the point.

What you can see in the picture (maybe, with a microscope) is Raritan Bay, with Staten Island to the left (the tree-covered edge on the top left), some kind of tanker either incoming or outgoing (white blotch on the green edge), sitting and waiting for the tide, and someone's modest sailboat (aka a hole in the water into which one pours money, white wedge towards the right of the picture) just hanging out.  The train was a double decker, and I was sitting on the lower deck, where I really don't prefer to sit, but that accounts for the relatively low perspective.

Interesting?  Not particularly.  But the lack of visual stimuli gives one the opportunity or excuse to sleep on the train, which the woman sitting next to me was doing, Kindle on her lap.  Which caused me to start feeling trapped, by this stage of the trip.  Which is not a nice feeling.

Now, just south (or east?) of the Morgan is a wetland, and continuing on an outbound (from NY) heading, one passes into a relatively wooded area with houses and such along the tracks.  As the train came out of the wetland, I saw a youngish looking deer at the side of the tracks, and it ran alongside the train for a while, till we picked up speed and left it behind.  That was pretty neat, and in my opinion, worth staying awake to see.  


No comments:

Post a Comment