Friday, September 16, 2011

Post-Labor Day bliss?

Well ok, not sure I would call it bliss, exactly.  But it is nice to be able to use my beach again, the way it ought to be used, with dog, sans leash.  That's Pablo up above, making tracks.  Notice my own tracks, going the opposite direction....he is a contrarian Chi, that's for sure.  But he's learning to do the off leash bit without dashing off and getting lost.  I leave his harness on, tho, so I can see him.  Being fawn with white markings, he tends to blend in with all that sand.  Natural camo.

Back in the day, Cid and I used to walk miles on the beach together, he learned early on how to do the off leash thing, and would snorffle along checking out the scents while I could do my thing, take pictures, search for collectibles, whatever.  Or just lose myself in my own mind.  That's the part I miss the most, being able to let my mind wander while the dog was getting his fill of physical and mental exercise and fresh air.

Since this dog is small, I still have to be somewhat alert for predators out there.  I've seen foxes and raccoons, hawks and eagles, and oh, rattlesnakes (we have Eastern Diamondbacks now), any of which might find Pablo a tasty morsel.  So alertness is required, or else I might find myself dogless again, and I would not like that one bit.  Pablo may be small, but he's kind of grown on me.  And he thinks he's big.  So.

No comments:

Post a Comment