Thursday, September 1, 2011

Irony

My brother-in-law said something yesterday that got me thinking.  He was here, working in my temporary tech shelter, because his power had been out since 11.00 Saturday night, and was on the phone with various business associates.  He had to tell each of them where he was, because of the irony of the situation.

And just what is ironic about it?  Well....start with the fact that, when Irene was threatening, my town was subjected to a MANDATORY evacuation.  Guess where we were told to evacuate to?  The shelter in the high school in his town, about ten miles inland from here. 

So whose power was out for four days?  Not mine, mine blipped during the storm, but generally stayed on. And my internet, Comcast, was only out from sometime Saturday evening (when apparently most of the lines in town came down) until service was restored on Monday.  (I noticed Verizon was around the neighborhood fixing the Fios yesterday.  Kudos to Comcast!)

Did I mention I live at the beach?

Did I also mention we are lacking something here that exists in abundance ten miles inland?  Can you guess what that something might be?

Trees.  That's why we generally don't lose power in storms, we have no trees.  And, much as I love trees, I'm very glad to not have to deal with them taking down my power lines, and crunching my house, and putting leaves in my gutters (which are way too high up for me to de-leaf without hiring someone to do it).  Not to mention seasonal raking. 

How does that poem go?  I think that I shall never see a poem as lovely as a tree...as long as they keep their branches firmly attached, that is.




No comments:

Post a Comment