Friday, October 26, 2012

Impending doom - or something

Here we go again, waiting for a storm to show up and do whatever it might do.  This time it's Sandy, which is still in the Bahamas as I write this, but has been having a gloom and doom effect here since maybe Weds evening.  Skies are cloudy and heavy with wetness, none of which is coming down quite yet.  Weather presenters are going all manic, warning of the end of the world, or something close to it, which is supposed to (maybe) happen Monday, or Tuesday, or Wednesday next week.  The panic-mongering is intense and disturbing.  My mother is packed and ready to leave.

No doubt if something actually does come this way, we will be told to evacuate to the inland portions of the county.  You can go back to my posts from last August/September and see how that worked out last time, when Irene came for a visit.  Considering the inland areas had far more damage than we did here at the beach, I'm kind of hesitant to take that route again.

Then there are the weather savants who think this is going to be not just a hurricane, but a blizzard at the same time.  That would be interesting to see.  I'm getting all my cameras set to go in case that happens.  Then I can have pictures to go with the story when I tell somebody else's grandkids about The Big One (TM).

Sigh.  I'm thinking earthquakes are better to have.  Those kind of just happen, then you clean up and go on with life.  With hurricanes and their relatives, you wait a week or more while you watch the thing approach, lay bets on what track it's going to take, sit through hours or days of mess, and then clean up and go on with life.  Seems to me earthquakes are far more efficient.

Meanwhile, I think I'll stock up on water.  That seems to be the weakest link in the infrastructure around here.  Tomorrow, though.  Have to go to work today.  Life goes on in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment