Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Something familiar about this

I suspect that many people will enjoy a book (or a film, for that matter) more if they know the locations where the action takes place, and can relate to what they are seeing or reading in a more personal way.  I felt that way watching the space shuttle making its way from LAX towards downtown LA.

I intentionally did not go to see it on its route, since I find the downing of all those magnificent trees (particularly the ones in Inglewood, with shaped crowns, that used to march proudly down the middle of Manchester) to be painful on a visceral level.  I'm also not a huge fan of crowds and traffic, whatever the occasion.

But one photo kind of summed up the entire event for me, bringing it home to a place which, while I haven't ever eaten there (I don't do donuts), I always welcome as a landmark as I drive by on my way in from the airport.


Welcome home, Endeavour.  When you're ready for guests, I'll be there to see you in your new place!

No comments:

Post a Comment