Monday, October 29, 2012

Morning on Monday

It started raining during the night.  Not a lot of rain, but enough.  Power and internet are still on, obviously, for the moment. The sump pump is working, as long as the power stays on.

First high tide this morning, the river came up to the corner of Southway, which runs behind my house.  Ocean Ave is running about a foot and a half deep in water.  It's receding now, next high tide on the ocean is 9.37 tonite.

Here's the river:


The fence is the back of my backyard. 

And here's Ocean Ave:


The water covered the sidewalk.  It's receding now, the river is down to the white house, and I can see the double yellow stripe in the middle of Ocean Ave again.  Low tide on the ocean is at 3.35.  If Ocean Ave looks passable, I'm probably going to leave.  Because this was just the first of the high tides, we've got two more to go (at least) that are under the influence of the storm.  I expect they'll get worse rather than better.

The good thing is, my car is here.  The bad thing is, my car is here.  Cuts both ways.  The house is probably high enough to withstand the water level.  Unfortunately, I can't get the car to climb the back steps and come inside.

Weather Undergound now has the storm center making landfall around Cape May sometime tonight.  So they moved it farther south, but I'm not sure that helps us here, they are saying the storm surge is worse on our side of the center than south of it. 

Will keep updating as long as I have power and internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment